Manchester City player Benjamin Mendy is currently on trial at Chester Crown Court in England on eight counts of rape and one sexual assault, that were alleged to have taken place between 2018 and 2021.
Details have begun to emerge from the trial about the crimes that both Mendy and co-defendant, Louis Saha Matturie are accused of committing.
The 28-year-old is accused of raping three women after the party at his Grand Designs-style home in Cheshire, and the trip to china White nightclub in Manchester on July 23-24 last year.
Opening the case, Timothy Cray QC said it had “very little to do with football” and more about men who “think they are powerful” he told jurors on the night of July 23 and the early morning of July 24, Mendy raped a 22-year-old and two 19-year-old women.
His co-accused, Louis Saha Matturie, 40, is also accused of raping one of the 19-year-olds, as well as another 22-year-old woman in the same period.
Mr Cray said this took place after lockdown restrictions were lifted and the new Premier League season was getting underway.
Both men are said to have treated women with ‘callous indifference’ and assumed any ‘who heard the gates (of Mendy’s home) close behind her was ‘available for sex’.
Some women said they had their mobile phones taken away, while others said they were attacked in locked rooms.
“It is another chapter in a very old story: men who rape and sexually assault women because they think they are powerful and because they think they can get away with it,” Cray said.
Mendy has pleaded not guilty to all charges brought against him. The trial is ongoing and is expected to last over three months.
main Image: Manchester Evening