Eligibility Requirements for the SunTrust Scholarship
The eligibility requirements for the SunTrust Scholarship Program were as follows:
- The applicant must be a legal resident of the United States.
- The applicant must be a high school senior or an undergraduate student who is enrolled in or planning to enroll in an accredited college or university in the United States.
- The applicant must be at least 13 years of age or older at the time of application.
- Employees of SunTrust Bank, their immediate family members, and members of their households were not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- Applicants must complete an online entry form and answer two essay questions on topics related to financial literacy, education, and career goals.
How to Apply for the SunTrust Scholarship
To apply for the SunTrust Scholarship Program, students had to follow these steps:
- Go to the SunTrust Scholarship website during the application period.
- Complete the online entry form, which includes providing personal information, such as name, address, phone number, email address, and school information.
- Answer two essay questions that vary from year to year. The essay questions typically ask about the applicant’s financial literacy, education, and career goals.
- Review and agree to the official rules and regulations of the scholarship program.
- Submit the online entry form and essay answers before the application deadline.
Tips for Writing a Winning SunTrust Scholarship Essay
Writing a winning scholarship essay is an important part of the application process for the SunTrust Scholarship Program. Here are some tips to help you write a strong essay:
- Understand the essay prompt: Read the essay prompt carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked of you. Be sure to address all parts of the question and stay focused on the topic.
- Be authentic: Write in your own voice and be true to who you are. Avoid trying to sound like someone else or trying to write what you think the scholarship committee wants to hear.
- Use specific examples: Use examples from your personal experiences to illustrate your points. This will help make your essay more engaging and memorable.
- Show, don’t tell: Instead of simply stating that you are passionate about something, demonstrate your passion through specific examples and actions.
- Proofread and edit: Before submitting your essay, be sure to proofread and edit it carefully. Check for spelling and grammatical errors, and make sure your essay is well-organized and easy to read.
- Be concise: Stay within the word limit and be concise in your writing. Make every word count, and avoid unnecessary details or information.
- Follow the guidelines: Make sure you follow all the guidelines and instructions provided by the scholarship program, including formatting and submission requirements.
Selection and Notification Process for SunTrust Scholarship Winners
The selection process for the SunTrust Scholarship Program was a random drawing. Each year, 30 winners were randomly selected from all eligible entries received during the application period. The selection process was conducted by a third-party administrator to ensure fairness and impartiality.
Once the winners were selected, they were notified by phone, email, or mail. Winners had to respond within a specified timeframe to confirm their acceptance of the scholarship award. If a winner did not respond within the specified timeframe, an alternate winner would be selected.
To receive the scholarship award, winners had to complete an affidavit of eligibility and a liability/publicity release, as well as provide proof of enrollment in an accredited college or university.
Opening Date and Deadline
The SunTrust Scholarship Program is open for applications from October 2023 to December 2023, with the winners being announced in the spring of 2024.
The SunTrust Scholarship Program offers awards of $500 to $2,500 to eligible students who planned to enroll in an accredited college or university.
What Can SunTrust Scholarship Funds Be Used For?
The SunTrust Scholarship funds were intended to be used for qualified educational expenses, including:
- Tuition and fees: The scholarship funds could be used to pay for tuition and fees charged by the accredited college or university where the winner is enrolled or planning to enroll.
- Books and supplies: The scholarship funds could be used to purchase books, supplies, and required course materials.
- Room and board: The scholarship funds could be used to cover the cost of on-campus or off-campus housing and meal plans.
- Transportation: The scholarship funds could be used to pay for transportation expenses, such as commuting to and from campus or traveling for educational purposes.
Other Scholarship Opportunities from SunTrust
In addition to the SunTrust Scholarship Program, SunTrust (now Truist Financial Corporation) may offer other scholarship opportunities. However, it’s important to note that the availability of these scholarships and their eligibility requirements may vary and may change over time.
Some examples of other scholarship opportunities that SunTrust has offered in the past include:
- The Lighting the Way Award: This scholarship program recognized high school seniors who have demonstrated leadership in their community and academic achievement. The award was based on nominations from high school principals or guidance counselors.
- The Off to College Scholarship Sweepstakes: These sweepstakes awarded $500 each to 30 randomly selected high school seniors who completed an online financial education course.
- The SunTrust Foundation’s Scholarship Program: This scholarship program supported nonprofit organizations that provide scholarships to students in need. The program was open to nonprofit organizations located in SunTrust’s market areas.
In conclusion, the SunTrust Scholarship Program provided financial assistance to eligible high school seniors and college undergraduates who planned to enroll in an accredited college or university. The scholarship program aimed to support students who demonstrated financial need, academic achievement, and community involvement. The scholarship amount varied based on the student’s financial need, academic achievement, and other factors, ranging from $500 to $2,500. However, since SunTrust merged with BB&T to become Truist Financial Corporation, the scholarship program, and its details may have changed. It’s best to check with Truist Financial Corporation or their website for updated information on the scholarship program and its current offerings.