Ned McWherter Scholars Program is a scholarship program that was created by the Tennessee General Assembly in honor of the late Governor Ned McWherter. The program is designed to encourage academically gifted high school graduates from Tennessee to attend college within the state. The scholarship is highly competitive and provides a full tuition waiver and a stipend for textbooks and other expenses.
In this article, we will provide an overview of the Ned McWherter Scholars Program and its objectives.
- John Lepping Memorial Scholarship – Apply Now 2023/24
- Student Loan Trust Fund For 2023/2024 Apply Now
- Suntrust Scholarship Program – Apply Now 2023
- LEAGUE Foundation LGBTQ Scholarship – Apply 2023-24
- Courage to Grow Scholarship – Apply Now 2023-24
Eligibility Requirements for the Ned McWherter Scholars Program
To be eligible for the Ned McWherter Scholars Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Tennessee resident for at least one year prior to submitting the application.
- Be a high school senior graduating from a Tennessee public or private high school or be home-schooled in Tennessee.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Score at least 29 on the ACT or 1350 on the SAT.
Benefits of the Ned McWherter Scholars Program (Amount)
The scholarship is worth $6,000 every academic year, of which $3,000 comes from the State of Tennessee and $3,000 from the institution of higher learning. As long as it doesn’t have a work requirement, the institutional match can be a campus-based grant that is already part of the student’s financial aid package. All awards are given out evenly over the course of the academic year. Awards are based on a certain amount of funding and are quite competitive.
The grant is valid for three additional renewals for a total of four years. To continue to be eligible, the winner must maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average while enrolled full-time.
How To Apply
- Review the eligibility requirements: Make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements for the scholarship.
- Obtain a nomination: Students must be nominated by their high school guidance counselor or another designated nominator. The nominator will provide instructions for completing the application process.
- Complete the application: Once nominated, students will receive an email with instructions on how to access and complete the online application. The application includes essays, transcripts, test scores, and other supporting documents.
- Submit the application: The completed application and all required documents must be submitted by the application deadline.
- Wait for the results: The selection committee will review all applications and select the scholarship recipients. Recipients will be notified in the spring of their senior year.
The application deadline for the Ned McWherter Scholars Program is February 15, The application is closed and will be opened in 2024.
The Ned McWherter Scholars Program is a highly competitive scholarship program that provides significant financial and academic support to academically talented students in Tennessee. The program offers a full tuition waiver and an annual stipend for textbooks and other expenses, and it’s renewable for up to five years as long as the recipient maintains the required GPA and full-time enrollment status. To be eligible, applicants must be Tennessee residents, have a minimum GPA of 3.5, and score at least 29 on the ACT or 1350 on the SAT. The application process requires a nomination from a high school guidance counselor or another designated nominator and a strong, compelling application that includes essays, transcripts, test scores, and other supporting documents. The deadline for the application typically falls in mid-November, so interested students should begin the application process well in advance.
Frequently Asked Questions
When are ned mcwherter scholarship winners announced?
The Ned McWherter Scholars Program scholarship winners are announced in August.
ned mcwherter scholarship email
The Ned McWherter Scholars Program uses email to communicate with scholarship applicants and winners. If you have applied for the scholarship, make sure to check your email regularly, including your spam or junk folders, to ensure that you don’t miss any important updates or requests for information from the program. https://www.tn.gov/collegepays/about-us/contact-us.html