West Point Admission Requirements – West Point, also known as the United States Military Academy, is a prestigious federal service academy that was established in 1802. It is located in West Point, New York, and is the oldest continuously operating military academy in the United States.
West Point is known for its rigorous academic program, comprehensive leadership training, and commitment to producing graduates who are well-prepared to serve as leaders in the U.S. Army and beyond. Graduates of West Point are commissioned as officers in the U.S. Army and serve a minimum of five years on active duty.
Admission to West Point is highly competitive and requires meeting a set of stringent requirements, including citizenship, age, academic, physical, and character requirements. In this article, we will provide an overview of the admission requirements for West Point, as well as tips for applying to this esteemed institution.
- [PDF] Letter Of Intent For Scholarship (How To Write) – Sample
- ELAC Foundation Scholarship – Apply 2023-24
- Barbizon College Tuition Scholarship Program
- Posse Foundation Scholarship
- PB&J Scholarship – Apply Now! (2023/24 Session)
Westpoint admission requirements
To be considered for admission to the United States Military Academy at West Point, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be between 17 and 23 years of age on July 1 of the year of admission.
- Be unmarried and have no dependents.
- Meet academic requirements, including having a high school diploma or equivalent, completing a rigorous college-preparatory curriculum, and achieving strong grades in core academic subjects such as math, science, English, and social studies.
- Meet physical requirements, including passing a medical examination, meeting height, and weight standards, and demonstrating physical fitness through a fitness assessment.
- Meet character requirements, including demonstrating good moral character and leadership potential through extracurricular activities, community service, and other experiences.
NOTE: West Point is highly competitive and requires a nomination from a member of Congress or another authorized nominating source. Applicants must also complete a rigorous application process that includes essays, interviews, and a comprehensive background check.